Sunday, January 24, 2010

My mental inheritance

My father is 94 this year. When I think about his life and the way he has had to adapt throughout the past century, I am astonished at how much he has seen. Last time I was with him he was talking about his entry into this world. My grandmother in her 6th month and was riding home in a small open carriage in India (Rickshaw) when a small lizard dropped out of the trees right down her dress into her bosoms and as a result of her panic she went into early labor.
My father was the smallest baby known to survive at 2 lbs. Everyone said it was a miracle. Well, I guess one thing led to another. By the time he was at his birth weight he had a wet-nurse in India. (it was the custom) and she was called an Aiya (not sure how to spell that). Anyway, she saw he had a ring of tiny pink spots around his shoulder and on down to his hip which was on the diagonal. It was and is still visible to me. He was then pronounced to be highly lucky and spiritually protected!

Well, he survived World War II with two events that wounded him, including shrapnel in his head. When he woke up on that occasion, the priest was saying the last rights - blessing his soul and his journey to heaven. But, that did not hold him back from living life to the best of his ability. Now the years have passed and he is still 100% aware and active. So, he is my model and a very interesting man. The one thing I inherited from him was his active mind. It goes on and on....

Perhaps it is a gene or a DNA strand that causes me to wonder at his life and my own. My grandfather was also a very unusual man. He was an officer in the Indian Army for Britain and also a water diviner, as well as a Magistrate. He found many wells for both the army and local villages. His ideas about the mysterious and strange were often told me when I was young. No wonder I became interested in the paranormal.

It is my intention on this blog, to share some of my unusual history with the influence of these two men and the strange things that have happened to me throughout my life. So, if you like weird, or out on a limb stuff, perhaps you will write to me and let me know if you like what I write.

1 comment: