Friday, February 12, 2010

Meditation

When I was very little, I was told to sit still. Well, how long could a child be very still? A minute seemed like an hour. So, ten minute was like spending years being silent. Back in those day, I tried to listen to my mind, but all I could do was to fidget and fuss some more.

Well, as the years went by, I learned that I could sit my mind down and give it a talking too! Be quiet! Don't worry! Stop thinking! etc., but the more I told myself to be still, the more I talked away to myself. So, what was I to do?

Well, finally I realised that if I wanted peace and quiet, I had to learn to stop the dialogue. But, first, I had to learn to sit still. I noticed that the more I quietened my mind, the more I fidgeted. I was in a mental and physical loop. So, again, what to do?

Well, this is what I did and you can do it too!

Sit in a chair in front of a picture. Sit upright with your hands on you lap. everytime you move or think about something other then the picture, say out loud, "I drifted." Next notice the shapes in the picture and begin to trace around those shapes with your mind. Again, when you fidget or think about something repeat those word aloud.

You will find that you say "I drifted" very frequently at first. If you only last 5 minutes, that is better than no time. Practice this anwhere you go. Do it on the train, in the bus or on the toilet. There is always something you can watch or trace in your mind. Keep looking at the picture and trace it over and over and say over and over again outloud those two words. In time, your brain will get the message and stop fidgiting and thinking. Then you will have a conscious still mind.

The next step is to develop the same thing with your eyes closed. Simply picture a shape that has angles in your mind and keep drawing it. everytime your mind thinks of something else. Repeat "I drifted" out loud. You will learn quickly that there is no difference between your eyes open or closed. Then the reall quiet wills start.

For further guidance and mediatations: my book "50 Spiritually Powerful Meditations" is available on www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment