Thursday, February 4, 2010

Finding My Way

Since I was a small child I was told I have a tongue in my head and to use it. So, should I be lost I should simply ask some kind person and follow directions and soon find my way and would then feel safe. If all else failed, I could find a telephone box and call home or call the police.

Well, it worked quite well until the age of technology entered my life. First, I had to learn to use a computer, and that was no easy task. Simply put, I could not find way through the many rules and regulations that came with this large box that sat on my desk. Typing was the easy part. The rest was a complete mystery and I was always hopefully lost; called for help from someone on the telephone who with great patience, talked me through the steps. So, someone, smarter than me saved me! So thank God for the good old telephone

Then came the cell phones. "Oh, I have to learn to text!" What was that? Well, to be honest the journey was so round about, it was quicker to pick up the phone, say what I had to say and hang up. But, who wanted to waste time talking... It seems no one did or does now.

Anyway, not to be outdone, I decide to try my hand. Find my way alone. Hm!!! Not so easy! There was no one to ask and no way to get someone to speak to... least ways, to anyone who could help me. Just some annoying machine, asking stupid questions that had nothing to do with my question. Frustration - you bet!

Then someone said, "Write a blog and get in touch with the world." So, here I am, writing this blog. WOW! Success? Not really, I still don't know what I am doing or how to connect it to anyone. And there is no one to talk to. Just reams of stuff to read that I don't understand. Am I stupid or just backward?

But not to be deterred, I tried Twitter tonight. Well, I learned one thing today, it reads all my mail too as well as my Gmail list. Brrr! Not good. Now everyone could know my private business and I never even opened my mouth... So, what to do. Be quite and watch the world go by?

Perhaps this age of technology is too much for us older folks, but what about those super kids who just take to this modern world. They are bombarded with info. Surely their minds can never be still!!

Through the years I have spent hours trying to empty my mind and relax. Now, suddenly I have to fill it with complicated, inexplicable info - well, what a dilemma; back to a simple life, pick up the telephone and call someone I know. Help! But who is listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment